Robots.Txt A Guide For Crawlers – Use Google Robots Txt Generator
Robots.txt is a text file that comprise website crawl information’s. This is also known as the Robot Exclusion Protocol, and this standard specifies which part of your website the web robot should process or scan, and you may specify that you do not want these crawlers to process any area. Malware detectors bots, email harvesters bots do not follow this standard and will scan for vulnerabilities in your security and there is a good chance that they will start checking your site from areas you do not want to list.
An entire Robots.txt file contains name of the “user-agent” and below it, you can enter other crawl instructions such as “Allow,” “Deny,” “Crawl-delay,” and so on. If written manually, you have to write multiple command lines in one file, and it can take a long time. If you do not want to index a page, the directives command is “Disallow”, the link you do not want bots to see, and “Allow” directives goes for the allowed pages. This is not so easy, if you think that the robots.txt file contains everything, but one wrong line can eliminate your page from the indexation queue. So, it is always best to leave the task to the experts, let our best Robots.txt generator to create the file for you.
What is the functionality of Robot.txt in SEO?
This small file is very responsible for a good ranking of your website, if you ignore it, your website rank lower.
The first file that a search engine bot seeks, is the .txt file specified for the robot, if it is not found in the root directory, there is a huge possibility that crawlers will not index any pages of your site. This small file can be modified when ever you want to add or remove more pages with a few more instructions, but make sure you do not add the main domain (home page) with the “Disallow” instruction. Each search engine has a budget for crawling, this budget limits the number of page indexes in a given period of time. The crawl limit is how much time a crawler will spend on a website, but if Google finds that crawling your site is affecting the user experience, it will slowly crawl the site. This slow crawling means that every time Google visit your site for indexing, it will only examine a few pages of your site and it will take a longer time for your latest post to be indexed. To overcome these limitations and speed up your crawl, your website must have a sitemap and a robots.txt file.
Since each bot has crawl limit for a website, it is very important to have a best robot file for a WordPress website also. Because a WordPress website contains many pages that do not require indexing you can even create a WP Robot txt file with our google from create tools. If you do not have a robot.txt file, crawler bots will still visit and index your website, if it is a small website, have only a little pages, it is not required.
Directives of a Robots.Txt File
To create the txt file manually, you should know some terms and instructions required for this file. You can also modify the file generated online, after learning the important instructions.
- Crawl-delay: This particular command is specified to obstruct crawlers from overloading the host, too many requests may overload the server, resulting in poor user experience. Crawl delays are considered differently by several search engine bots from, Bing, Google, Yandex. For Yandex it is a little pause after every successful visits, for Bing it is like a time window where bots will visit the site only once and for Google, you can use the search console to control bots’ visits.
- Allowing: Used to allow search engine spiders to index the website URLs. You can add uncountable URLs to robots.txt file if you want, especially if it’s a ecommerce website site then the list may get longer. However, only use robot files if your site has pages that you do not want to index.
- Disallowing: The main purpose of a robot file is to prevent crawlers from visiting the mentioned links, directories, etc. These directories, however, are accessed by other bots that need to be tested for malware because they do not comply with the standard.
Difference Between A Sitemap And A Robots.Txt File
A sitemap is essential for all websites because it contains useful information for search engines. A sitemap tells Bot how regularly you update your website and what types of content your site furnish. Its primary purpose is to inform search engines of all the pages on your site that requires to be crawled where the robots txt file is for crawlers. It tells crawlers which pages should be crawled and which should not. To index your pages you need a sitemap that does not have robot txt (if you do not have a page that does not need to be indexed).
Creating robots.txt file By Using Google Robots File Generator?
Creating a robots txt file is very simple but those who do not know how to do it need to follow these instructions to save time.
- When you land on the page of the new robot txt generator, you will see a few options, not all options are compulsory, but you have to choose diligently. In the first row is the default standard of all robots and if you want to declare crawl-delay.
- The second row is regarding the sitemap, assure that you have one and do not forget to mention it in the robots txt file.
- Next, you can select few more options for search engines if you want to crawl search engine bots or not, the second block is for images if you are going to allow their indexing the third column is for the mobile version.
- The last option is “Disallow”, where you tell crawler not to list any page or directory. Be sure to add a forward slash before filling in the field with the directory or page address.